Friday, February 21, 2014

Emerald- Home Away From Home

Ecuador was a short side trip I took during the beginning of my stay in Colombia. It was time to go back to my home away from home. Colombia had felt like my second home in the time that I was there and even to this day I miss the life there. It is very exciting, and in a way a little dysfunctional, but I absolutely loved it! There were parts however that did not feel like home at all, in reference to the comfort zone of an American. It was quite the experience. I'm sure many others who have served in other countries can agree that sometimes you have to give up a level of comfort. To me, it just added to the fun of it all! For most of us living in Florida, it is unheard of to live without air conditioning. We truly feel we will die without it, but actually this rumor is false. I assure you, you could survive. This was just one of the discomforts to put up with, though. But remember with sacrifices, always come blessings. I had the privilege of visiting a little island very close to Cartagena almost every weekend. You have to take a little boat to get there. The area is called Bocachica. This isolated territory has no running water so we had to take a bath from a bucket, wash dishes from buckets of water, and transport water from buckets for other little things as well. Experiences like this help you to see how much you take for granted living in the comfortable homes of the USA. Despite the heat and having the feeling I was never truly clean, I had the best sleep of my life there. I went to bed every day with a smile on my face. It was a result of the weekend spiritual adventures I would have there. Walking in the sun all day in service or conducting various Bible studies from early morning till late at night on that island. During most of the meetings there was only one brother, and us sisters had to help out in the reading. There was a lot to do there! Maybe it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to some, but trust me, it was! This was genuine hard work, and a true jewel made up of happy memories.

Kingdom Hall at Bocachica

On my way by boat


One of the sisters that travels to this island
every weekend to support the preaching work there.
It is her congregation's isolated territory.

Thought this was funny. Definitely not in the
comforts of USA.

Inside the Kingdom Hall. 

Studying with the children

This is their sound system and the sister in charge of it :)

Cooking in the 'kitchen'

Saying goodbye

This is another Kingdom Hall on the other side of
 the island. It is another territory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment