Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Emerald- The First Adventure

Colombia was the first country, the first jewel, of my adventure. As of right now, it is the place where I spent the most time during one stay. I was in Cartagena, Colombia for about 5 months. Cartagena is on the coast, on the side of the Caribbean sea. Many people probably hear of this city as one of the most beautiful to visit. Well, it is beautiful, not just for the scenery and the people, but for the spiritual treasures that I was able to experience as well. One thing that I have learned, is that there is need everywhere, but how amazing it is to be in a country where almost everyone loves and respects the Bible. Where you can take one step outside of your house and start a conversation with your neighbor, or the person sitting next to you on the bus, the people in the market when you buy your groceries. Anywhere and everywhere they will listen. I can tell you now, I took advantage of every opportunity and had more Bible studies than I thought possible. Every day I felt I was on an adventure. This was when I really started to see how a lot of effort can go a long way. Cartagena was the first place I was able to live this dream, a pioneers dream.  The congregation that I assisted is called Manga, which also has an English group. I was able to participate in both Spanish and English activities. Cartagena is truly an amazing place to sharpen  up your service skills, since it can be very diverse. I was able to speak to the rich, the poor, the Colombians and the foreigners. Being adaptable is a must, especially when your dealing with different cultures (mainly American, European and Hispanic).
Cartagena View from Castillo San Felipe
Service in the center of the city. Where we find the foreigners ;)
On top of the Cartagena Walls
Service by the ocean
Some of the girls in the English Group at the time
One of the many studies started in CTG.
 I would always have to catch her bright and early!! 
At an assembly with some of the friends.
Manga Congregation
I was able to visit the only Chinese group in CTG while I was there as well.
This was before I even knew how to say Ni Hao! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I finally get to hear about your adventures in Colombia. I'm starting to see what has given you a lot of your drive for spiritual things.

    ReplyDelete